Shelby Farms Park is a 4,500 acre urban park in Memphis, Tennessee. Originally, the park was a penal farm. From 1929 until 1964, inmates from the Shelby County prison worked the farm to produce food for the prisoners.
After the penal farm operations ceased, citizens rallied to keep the land from being developed. Instead, they wanted to see the land used as a park. Today, it is one of the largest urban parks in America and receives approximately 1,000,000 visitors each year.
Shelby Farms is located in the eastern part of Memphis near Cordova. It is roughly bordered by Mullins Station Road to the north, Germantown Parkway to the east, Walnut Grove Road to the south, and Farm Road to the west. Click here for a map of the park.
Shelby Farms boasts numerous bodies of water, paddle boats, paved and primitive trails, a disc golf course, a kite field, a model airplane field, horse stables, a dog park, a playground, nature areas, an amphitheater, visitor's center, indoor and outdoor rental spaces, and much more.
Agricenter International is located on 1,000 acres of the Shelby Farms land. It is designed to bring agricultural and environmental awareness to the public. The Agricenter features these elements: the Expo Center, the Show Place Arena, Catch'em Lake, the Farmers' Market, an RV park, and a farm for crop research and testing. In addition, the Agricenter hosts annual events such as a corn maze in October and pick-your-own strawberries in late spring.
Hours of Operation:
Shelby Farms is open every day from sunrise until sunset.
- No boating in lakes except Patriot Lake. Battery operated trolling motors only.
- No swimiming in lakes
- A Tennessee fishing license is required for people over 13 years old
- No cutting of trees or removal of flora of any kind
- ATVs and four-wheelers are not allowed
- No alcoholic beverages allowed
- No firearms allowed
- Hunting is not allowed
- Shelters may be used on first-come, first-served basis unless previously reserved
- Signs not allowed unless by special arrangement
- Dogs must be on leash except in the designated off-leash area
- Music must not be played loud enough to be heard outside a vehicle
- No parking on grass in any areas
- No moon bounces, space walks, inflatables, water slides, dunk tanks, petting zoos or climbing walls
- Speed limit is 20mph in park
- No personal grills
- All excess trash which does not fit in garbage cans provided must be removed from park
- No metal detectors
The Shelby Farms Visitor Center is located at:
500 North Pine Lake Drive
Memphis, TN 38134