More than eight years ago, a very dear friend of mine died in a house fire. To this day, I am especially troubled when I hear about other fire fatalities -- such as the Saturday morning blaze that killed a four year old boy at an apartment complex near Winchester and Tchulahoma. This sort of tragedy should serve as a reminder to us all of the importance of fire safety. The United States Fire Administration offers the following fire safety tips:
- Have at least one working smoke detector in your home. Test it monthly and replace the battery annually.
- Do not overload extension cords or outlets.
- Do not use appliances that spark, smoke, or produce an unusual odor.
- Leave at least three feet of open space around each side of a space heater.
- Have your fireplace chimney cleaned and inspected each year.
- Plan an escape route from every room in your home and hold periodic fire drills for the whole family.